How do I get Rentenverlauf in Germany as an expat?

Once you want to apply for a permanent residence ship (PR / Niederlassungserlaubnis), you will be asked to provide proof that you paid into the statutory pension fund in Germany.

Latest at that time you’ll ask yourself: “How do I get Rentenverlauf”?

To get a copy of your Rentenverlauf (pension record) in Germany as an expat, you will need to contact the Deutsche Rentenversicherung (German Pension Insurance). You can do this by visiting their website ( and using their online services, or by contacting them by phone or email.

To request a copy of your Rentenverlauf, you will need to provide the following information:

  • Your name and date of birth
  • Your address in Germany
  • Your social security number (Sozialversicherungsnummer – visible on your payslip)
  • A copy of your identification documents (passport or ID card)

You may also need to provide additional information, depending on your specific circumstances.

Once you have provided the necessary information and documents, the Deutsche Rentenversicherung will process your request and send you a copy of your Rentenverlauf. This document will show the contributions you have made to the German pension system, as well as any benefits you may be entitled to receive.

You can also do this online – here’s the corresponding link:

Once there, please chose the Versicherungsverlauf option as shown below:

You’ll receive the document in no time 😉


Once you realize that you paid in a lot of money – but will get almost nothing in return, it’s high time to close the gap between what you get from the Government’s scheme vs what you need on a monthly basis. There are a few options to do this: stocks, mutual funds, real estate. We already have a few articles on real estate. For a ETF based scheme you can choose: mypension*

Leave a Reply
You May Also Like
Public Transport in Germany - The local tram
Read More

Travelling through Germany by Trains and Buses Could be Fun  

If you have newly landed in Germany you surely must be rather keen to know how to move around in the country and which mode of transportation to use, to move easily and within your budget. Congratulations! We have good news for you! Travelling through the country by trains and buses may be an enjoyable affair for you.

How to get a job seekers visa in Germany
Read More

Your Guide to finding a Job with a German Job Seeker Visa

Are you thinking of moving to Germany in search of better employment possibilities? If that is the case then you need to apply for a Job Seeker Visa (JSV) which is a special visa, that allows an individual to enter the country or six months, solely with the purpose of looking for a job.

Best Gas provider in Germany
Read More

Check for Cheapest Gas Providers in Germany

When you move into your apartment, the same as choosing an electricity provider you will always have gas – which means hot water and heating – available. The usual suppliers in your region are for example Gasag in Berlin, E.ON in Hamburg, SWM in Munich, RheinEnergie in Cologne or Mainova in Frankfurt , with a basic contract (Grundversorgungsvertrag). If you do not apply for a new provider then the existing provider will send you a payment request at some point. It is very normal in Germany, to change the existing provider/plan, as the conditions of a standard plan are quite expensive. The notice period to quit the standard supplier is normally 2 weeks.

The German Autobahn No speed limits
Read More

The German Autobahn: A Comprehensive Introduction  

We present a comprehensive overview of the German Autobahn, highlighting its unique features, advantages, and the reasons it has become a symbol of excellence in highway systems worldwide, and is an integral part and parcel of day-to-day German Culture.